Friday, 26 Apr 24, 6:42 PM
Welcome, Guest | RSS
[ New posts · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Lost Girl » Characters » Tamsin (Tammers, T-Sin, Officer Slamsin. Badass Valkyrie.)
Tamsin
Eternal-DustDate: Friday, 27 Sep 13, 3:10 PM | Message # 31
Food > You
Group: Administrators
Awards: 11
We'll just have to *sniff* wait and see *sniff* 

TAM TAM!!!! *screams*

Bo: "I'm alright, but I'm not perfect."
Tamsin: "Yes, you are. To me, you are."

Fangirl-outletDate: Friday, 27 Sep 13, 3:44 PM | Message # 32
Your face sucks
Awards: 8
This is why fanfiction exists. So we can trick our minds into believing events are actually unfolding in relation to the characters... even though they're not. Because I need Tam-Tam to haz happy moments.

"Why do you care so much!?"

LanieDate: Saturday, 28 Sep 13, 2:42 PM | Message # 33
Rakshasa
Group: Moderators
Awards: 4

Any guesses?
Are we to assume TamTam's ancestors are from Norway, just like RS's?

SHCDate: Saturday, 28 Sep 13, 3:13 PM | Message # 34
Bounty Hunter
Awards: 10
Quote (Lanie)
Any guesses? Are we to assume TamTam's ancestors are from Norway, just like RS's?

I looked up some after that tweet but didn't even know how to pronounce them so wasn't particular to any. As for her ancestors being from Norway, probably not planned just convenient that Rachel speaks the language and has family over there. I just know I will lose my shit when she speaks Norwegian.

For everyone: I've been thinking about Tamsin's life cycle and... would you rather she be reborn at the beginning or at the end? Do you think she will  be reborn at all? Is there a limit to the number of lifetimes she can have? If it's over and over again, wouldn't Valkyries be essentially immortal even if it comes with a price? She seems to retain her memory but that's about all we know.

AshDate: Monday, 30 Sep 13, 10:15 AM | Message # 35
Bounty Hunter
Group: Users
Awards: 5

*sigh* Gorgeous.

" Dude, I live in my truck. "

Eternal-DustDate: Tuesday, 01 Oct 13, 1:24 PM | Message # 36
Food > You
Quote (Ash)

*sigh* Gorgeous.

OH MG YOD. 

FaeKenziDate: Tuesday, 01 Oct 13, 1:45 PM | Message # 37
Baby Fae
Awards: 2
Quote (SheHadACorpse)
I've been thinking about Tamsin's life cycle and... would you rather she be reborn at the beginning or at the end? Do you think she will  be reborn at all? Is there a limit to the number of lifetimes she can have? If it's over and over again, wouldn't Valkyries be essentially immortal even if it comes with a price? She seems to retain her memory but that's about all we know.
I honestly don't mind as long as she stays in the show. If her being reborn at the end of season four means she'll be there in season five, then I'm more than okay with that.
I think she will have to be reborn at some point. I mean, they put a lot of emphasis on the whole TAMSIN IS DYING OH NOES !!!!1111ONEOENEOEN so it would really piss me off if they never touched on that topic again. But I don't think it'll be the case. 
idk man I've read so many fanfics in which Tamsin just dies and then is reborn and then dies again and is reborn again that I think at this point, it's become part of my headcanon that valkyries are basically immortal (except that they do die every once in a while, as you said, it's the price to pay).

Answering all of your questions makes me realize just how LITTLE we know about Tamsin and about valkyries in general, and it really bugs me. Sure, you can Google it, but you never know how these writers will use that information. Or if they will actually stick to mythology or just make up their own stuff.

Eternal-DustDate: Tuesday, 01 Oct 13, 1:54 PM | Message # 38
Food > You
If their life cycles are pretty much unlimited, I don't understand why Tamsin is clinging so desperately to her current cycle. There must be something about her deal with the Wanderer. I have this feeling she was on her last life line and now I'm scared. TAMXIETY. 

Fangirl-outletDate: Tuesday, 01 Oct 13, 5:56 PM | Message # 39
Your face sucks
Quote (Eternal-Dust)
I have this feeling she was on her last life line and now I'm scared. TAMXIETY.

So... maybe working for the Wanderer gets her the rebirth -- though that would mean that the wanderer owns the valkyries (considering valkyries live to serve and expire, yada yada), which begs the question, why would Acacia be worried about the wanderer's freaky minions coming after Tamsin if she's already about to die?
I mean, if Tamsin goes against the wanderer and as a result no longer gets to be reborn, then why would he have to send the minions after her at all? Why not just let her die in her guilt or whatever? Why is she cursed ("I've cursed us") if she's just dead? 

Meh. Thoughts.

Fangirl-outletDate: Tuesday, 01 Oct 13, 7:14 PM | Message # 40
Your face sucks
http://drinksatthedal.com/2013....sode-20

The Tamsin episode of "Drinks at the dal."  Thoughts?

My thoughts:

This episode definitely had some very interesting and valid points about Tamsin's character -- and I commend their ability to thoroughly investigate the character and not reduce her to nothing -- with a lot speculation as to her motivations and her relationships. I did agree with much of what was said, but I also found myself irritated at a few remarks and the general way they sort of undermined the depth of the Tamsin/Bo relationship by skipping key moments and emotional cues. They deliberately sidestepped valkubus as a budding sexual relationship and relegated it to a sort of yearning on Tamsin's part to be Bo, or to have what Bo has. Though there may be some validity to this, like I said, they specifically skipped key moments that would have otherwise rendered their point moot -- or at least provided some stable argument against their view of the relationship.

The episode connects Tamsin to a female version of the sort of classic noir male detective, which in many ways works I suppose, but they took it to an extreme almost. They made Tamsin out to be this mainly masculine character -- which kind of flies in the face of everything that Tamsin is, being that she's predominantly a powerful and threatening, but sexual, character that is entirely aware of her strength. Meaning that she's not masculine, but entirely feminine in a very determined and unwavering way, and that she has learned how to use her identity and snark and exterior walls to get what she wants. Simply put, she is confident in her sexuality, gender, and identity.

Furthermore, they very lightly touch on the loyalty that I personally see Tamsin develop in regards to Bo. Well, they kind of dab at it, and then move on to something that outright goes against it. Much of the Tamsin/Bo aspect is very biased and one-sided, and there is little argument to support Tamsin's personal feelings towards Bo, though they admit that Tamsin has budding emotions, just that they're more emotions period and not necessarily emotions towards Bo.

So, I do believe that they made some vague attempt at observing and speculating upon the character of Tamsin, but in doing so, almost deliberately disconnected certain very depth-filled aspects of her character and identity to separate the valkubus from it all. That was a bit of an upset, to be honest, but I do agree with a lot of their points about Tamsin's psychological behaviour - especially when they briefly touched on Tamsin being self-destructive towards the end of the season. 

Overall, I'd say the focus should probably have been less on the comparisons between Tamsin and other fictional male noir characters, and more on the actual Tamsin content of the season, wherein Bo was heavily featured and Tamsin's emotions and shifting loyalties is definitely presented.

SHCDate: Tuesday, 01 Oct 13, 9:12 PM | Message # 41
Bounty Hunter
Awards: 10
So, Falala pretty much covered most of my thoughts on this up there but I wanted to add something that really bothers me. I completely disagree that Tamsin is an alcoholic or  a functional alcoholic as was discussed. Now, I am not saying she may not be either, I just honestly don't see her as dependent on alcohol. Yes, Tamsin likes her liquor, so does Kenzi and most of the other characters. Can we really label her an alcoholic when we have seen her exactly two times get drunk?

I am not saying she did not use it to cope or that  it is really great way to deal with your problems, what I'm saying is, that other characters on the show have used alcohol as a coping mechanism before. If anything I would say they were under way less extreme emotional circumstances. Tamsin was under some serious duress, having to deliver Bo, her life cycle coming to an end and  dealing with Acacia's fate and her role in that.. Yet, I find myself surprised to not see anyone comment on the possibility  that any of the other character may be alcoholics so I am just wondering why that is.

Yes, drunk Tamsin can be fun and I have no problem with her loving her liquor but to label her an alcoholic rubs me the wrong way. If that pattern of heavy drinking and whatnot continues into s4, I am more than willing to accept she is, I just don't think we have seen  enough on the show to label her that as of now.

ValkyrieLiquorCabinetDate: Wednesday, 02 Oct 13, 12:07 PM | Message # 42
Kitsune
Awards: 5
Quote (Fangirl-outlet)
The episode connects Tamsin to a female version of the sort of classic noir male detective, which in many ways works I suppose, but they took it to an extreme almost. They made Tamsin out to be this mainly masculine character -- which kind of flies in the face of everything that Tamsin is, being that she's predominantly a powerful and threatening, but sexual, character that is entirely aware of her strength. Meaning that she's not masculine, but entirely feminine in a very determined and unwavering way, and that she has learned how to use her identity and snark and exterior walls to get what she wants. Simply put, she is confident in her sexuality, gender, and identity.

Great thoughts you have there.
I can see how easy it is to label Tamsin masculine if you take only the on-the-surface aspects of the character. She is strong, independent, sarcastic, blunt, rude, with IDGAF attitude. Eventually she is stereotyped. But there is story behind Tamsin, she is a Valkyrie, she lived long, she seen it all, she learned how to be how to survive in this world on her own terms. It's a rare treat to have female character like Tamsin on TV.

TamsinsUnusedVibratorDate: Wednesday, 02 Oct 13, 10:06 PM | Message # 43
Baby Fae
Awards: 0
All i have to say is they'd better not kill her. I'd be done with the show if they did.

Damn, i wish i was as psycho in love with her as I was in the beginning. I'd blow this forum away by releasing my passion. I swear you'd kick me from the site lol

But i've calmed my ovaries over the months. Perhaps it is lack of seeing new Tamsin-yness

omaloraDate: Wednesday, 02 Oct 13, 10:35 PM | Message # 44
Bounty Hunter
Awards: 4
Quote (TamsinsUnusedVibrator)
Damn, i wish i was as psycho in love with her as I was in the beginning. I'd blow this forum away by releasing my passion. I swear you'd kick me from the site lol But i've calmed my ovaries over the months. Perhaps it is lack of seeing new Tamsin-yness
I'm sure it's just a matter of time before le ovaries remember they're alive. But if they haven't kicked me yet, they won't kick you :3

UberFaenaticDate: Thursday, 03 Oct 13, 8:36 AM | Message # 45
Rakshasa
Awards: 6
Sometimes fans look at things, screen caps for instance, and totally over analyze what they're seeing in an effort to find a trend or theme or idea...

And sometimes, there really is something there.

Take a look at this:

http://walkingeinsteinwithcleavage.tumblr.com/post....anderer

The show put an actual, honest to goodness easter egg in Confaegion regarding Tamsin. smile

The poem written on the wall behind Tamsin only and only for this scene is called...wait for it...The Wanderer.  Rather, it's been tweaked a bit to put it in female form.

The wording of the poem is tragic...and I think really does a good job describing Tamsin.

This poem is nothing but sadness. It’s a man who starts off by saying he doesn’t have anyone close to him to tell his secrets or his fears to, and then explaining this is because everyone he
loves is dead, the place they lived is abandoned, and now he’s basically an exiled warrior who will never find a home again—not physically, and not in his heart.

So why is this about Tamsin? She’s a valkyrie, who may be at least 3,500 years old if she actually was at the Trojan War, as she makes reference to in “Those Who Wander” (episode 13). Until
the advent of modern warfare if you go by Norse mythology, she was probably all up in some, if not all, of the battles and wars happening in her people’s land, if not across six continents, for for a few thousand years. She would have had a group of sisters (not necessarily by blood, since how the valkyries came to exist is up in the air). They would have all gone off to fight together, getting their rocks off killing people. According to Tamsin herself, “There was a time I could
lay waste to an entire army.” So basically, she was awesome at it. I mean, you can see her, the “byrnied (armored) warrior,” probably all gussied up in leather and steel, a trusty sword, maybe even the blade she uses on a fairly regular basis on the show for close combat, face full of blood lust, laying waste to men around her, using her powers only when she got tired of the fighting. Gorgeous, ballsy, frightening, covered in blood like some video game fantasy.

And now who is Tamsin? Some old, close to dying valkyrie with a snarky attitude and no friends worth anything, considering what she told Bo in “The Kenzi Scale” (episode 5). None of the power she used to have, none of the friends, only nostalgia to remind her how things used to be. This poem might have been written for her, if not by her. Not that Tamsin’s necessarily “wise in mind,”
considering some of the choices she’s made throughout the season; otherwise, it’s pretty spot-on.

I agree with the person who wrote that post btw... I think it is a "red herring" insofar as we know who the Wanderer is but still.

How cool is that analysis?

"And I wonder...can you really know yourself without memory? I mean, can you really know what you want?" - Bo Dennis, "Of All the Gin Joints"

Post edited by UberFaenatic - Thursday, 03 Oct 13, 8:47 AM

Forum » Lost Girl » Characters » Tamsin (Tammers, T-Sin, Officer Slamsin. Badass Valkyrie.)
Search: