Friday, 29 Mar 24, 9:46 AM
Welcome, Guest | RSS
[ New posts · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Valkyrior, Lanie  
Forum » Lost Girl » Lost Girl General Discussion » Dybo vs Doccubus vs Valkubus - Exploring Bo's Relationships
Dybo vs Doccubus vs Valkubus - Exploring Bo's Relationships
Eternal-DustDate: Thursday, 17 Oct 13, 10:07 PM | Message # 16
Food > You
Group: Administrators
Awards: 11
Shit I need to rewatch those scenes again then.

Bo: "I'm alright, but I'm not perfect."
Tamsin: "Yes, you are. To me, you are."

Fangirl-outletDate: Thursday, 17 Oct 13, 10:17 PM | Message # 17
Your face sucks
Awards: 8
Quote SheHadACorpse ()
If the heartbeat thing is not true, I'll just go back to not wanting the 10th to come because I don't want my dreams to be crushed...

Yeah, sorry to crush your hopes and dreams, but the heartbeat only sounds when Bo's seriously feeding. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHE549ELDLA
:10 seconds, when Bo starts going all succubusy. It's just a succubus sound effect. :/

"Why do you care so much!?"

marieksparkleDate: Friday, 18 Oct 13, 5:01 AM | Message # 18
Squonk
Group: Users
Awards: 2
Quote Fangirl-outlet ()
Yeah, sorry to crush your hopes and dreams, but the heartbeat only sounds when Bo's seriously feeding.

not to go all musicgeek on your ass, but that is a single stroke everytime and sounds more like rumble, not the serious beating it does when she takes it from tamsin. I listened to the scene where she comes out of the dawning and takes chi from everybody in the room, it's the same there things that sound like rumble but only a single stroke and not the typical heartbeat 2 strokes shortly after eachother... there is a difference in trying to make music sound threatening, with the violins glissando (glided pitch) up and the "percussion" steadily playing every first count of the measure... whereas the "heartbeat" with tamsin has no real steady pattern sounding like a heartbeat at first and than getting quicker. or in the juice me scene where there is no pounding at all at first and than you can hear a 2 stroke rhythm getting a little faster during the end.

that being said, you're probably right, I'm just frantically and hysterically looking for something to hold on to biggrin

ValkyrieLiquorCabinetDate: Friday, 18 Oct 13, 6:18 AM | Message # 19
Kitsune
Awards: 5
Quote marieksparkle
not to go all musicgeek on your ass, but that is a single stroke everytime and sounds more like rumble, not the serious beating it does when she takes it from tamsin. I listened to the scene where she comes out of the dawning and takes chi from everybody in the room, it's the same there things that sound like rumble but only a single stroke and not the typical heartbeat 2 strokes shortly after eachother... there is a difference in trying to make music sound threatening, with the violins glissando (glided pitch) up and the "percussion" steadily playing every first count of the measure... whereas the "heartbeat" with tamsin has no real steady pattern sounding like a heartbeat at first and than getting quicker. or in the juice me scene where there is no pounding at all at first and than you can hear a 2 stroke rhythm getting a little faster during the end.

I need to listen to that, damn you good with noticing stuff yes

marieksparkleDate: Friday, 18 Oct 13, 7:00 AM | Message # 20
Squonk
Quote ValkyrieLiquorCabinet ()
I need to listen to that, damn you good with noticing stuff

haha it was 3 in the morning, my eyes were too tired to watch valkubus scenes but my ears still worked... that's when I noticed it. The analysis was after I had slept and as I study music science I'm forced to listen closely to sound and analyse it all the time, which doesn't automatically mean I'm right about this, it might also be a coincidence...

but thanks! smile

Post edited by marieksparkle - Friday, 18 Oct 13, 7:06 AM

Fangirl-outletDate: Saturday, 19 Oct 13, 2:19 PM | Message # 21
Your face sucks
Quote marieksparkle ()
Not to go all film student geek on you, but no shit. Comparing an undoubtedly romantically charged scene's background music/beat to the beat of epic darkness is obviously going to yield different results. They did say that Tamsin's chi was different, but the music itself is not a Tamsin exclusive thing, as you had originally said it was. It's a succubus exclusive thing. But honestly, I'm not certain I can ever give that much credit to the LG crew. It's likely the scene just had a different feel to them, so they changed the beat up. Like Jonana pointed out to me, the beat also changes again when Bo feeds off of Tamsin in The Wanderer, wherein it sounds a lot more like a heartbeat. Could it mean something? I suppose, if you have that much faith in the editing team.

Interesting catch, though. It's worth keeping in mind during future scenes.

marieksparkleDate: Saturday, 19 Oct 13, 7:28 PM | Message # 22
Squonk
Quote Fangirl-outlet ()
but the music itself is not a Tamsin exclusive thing, as you had originally said

I never said "the music" was a tamsin original thing, I said the heartbeat pattern in the music was a tamsin exclusive thing for as far as I had checked. and I said I only had rewatched a couple of scenes...

and I'd like to think that we can put that much faith in the editing team, if they take the time to post Easter eggs in the screen footage (like that "the wanderer" poem on the blackboard) than I want to believe that they take as much care of the audio too and have little things like that in it. with all the trolling and stuff they do it seems like they care a lot about the show and that (i.e. the little things that easily go unnoticed) would be a logical consequence. 

come to think of it, I did a song a while ago and it was partly inspired by the valkyrie/valkubus and it has the heartbeat rhythm in it too. this was long before I noticed the heartbeat pattern in that 'you need to feed' scene. subconsciously... biggrin

Fangirl-outletDate: Sunday, 20 Oct 13, 5:14 PM | Message # 23
Your face sucks
Quote marieksparkle ()
nd I'd like to think that we can put that much faith in the editing team, if they take the time to post Easter eggs in the screen footage (like that "the wanderer" poem on the blackboard) than I want to believe that they take as much care of the audio too and have little things like that in it. with all the trolling and stuff they do it seems like they care a lot about the show and that (i.e. the little things that easily go unnoticed) would be a logical consequence.

THAT would be the production/writing team, not the editing team. Surely, the production team has some say over the music, but considering the beat (though varied over time) has been there since the start, I doubt much thought was actually put into it. To be honest, the editing itself isn't that great. Again, that doesn't mean the beat doesn't have some deeper meaning, but based on what I've seen in the past, I've got little faith in that being the case. Though I'll keep an eye on it this season. smile

ValkyrieLiquorCabinetDate: Monday, 21 Oct 13, 6:59 AM | Message # 24
Kitsune
Awards: 5
Speaking of triangles or other geometrical figures. In season 2 finale pre-show AS, KHR and ZP were joking about love square and they kinda picked Kenzi for it (i know ewww).

UberFaenaticDate: Friday, 25 Oct 13, 4:05 PM | Message # 25
Rakshasa
Awards: 6
In rewatching Season 3, I've picked up on some moments that I either had missed before or just didn't give that much weight to the first time around.

The incompatibility problems actually become apparent very early on.  I had thought it was during the fourth episode of Season 3, Fae-de to Black, but really it was during the second episode, Subterrfaenean when Lauren and Bo were in bed together.

Lauren jokes about being exhausted and that it's funny that she has to play dumb to fend off sex...and then says that she hopes Bo knows she's kidding and prompts her for more sexy time.  But the thing is, she really is exhausted.

In Confaegion, we start with Bo and Kenzi being harassed by Bruce and Kenzi notices afterwards that Bo is a little worse for wear, still bearing a cut from the previous day.  Bo brushes it off and says Lauren is taking care of things but Kenzi points out that it's like an iPad being powered by a hamster wheel.

Later in that episode, Vex is talking with Lauren and points out to her the futility of trying to keep up with the Energizer Succu-bunny, since she's only a human female so obviously, in his view, their relationship is necessarily a short term thing.   He also points out that Dyson could keep up with Lauren.

A couple scenes later, Bo goes to Lauren's looking for her phone, and Lauren mentions the marathon sex they had the night before as she seduces Bo.

Later on we see her reacting to teen Bo's crush on Dyson and of course seeing  teen Bo kissing Tamsin.

Then of course comes the real culmination.... Fae-de to Black, where we see more sex...but what I realized is that it's not gratuitous as I first had figured.  

They're showing us that by human standards, they are having quite a lot of sex.  We see some of it, they talk about other instances.  And for Bo it's not enough...she's starving and weak and desperate.  For Lauren, it's too much.

We see them hiding things from each other...how Bo isn't honest about how run down she is because she's so desperate to be monogamous for and with Lauren and Lauren isn't being honest by enabling Bo in pretending she could have a normal human relationship.

And these themes continue to culminate throughout the season.  Lauren who wants to try to be okay with Bo getting sex elsewhere is continually belittling herself for something she can't possibly help, and that's the fact that she's human and can never sustain Bo on her own.  

And I think that's a big part of her breaking up with Bo.  That and the fact that Bo's full succubus nature kind of freaks her out.  She just saw for the second time Bo suck chi out of a room full of people...this time to bring Dyson back from the dead, which she's previously admitted scared her.  

When Tamsin told her she and Bo kissed, I think that helped drive home to Lauren that Bo can never ever be faithful to her, no matter how much either of them wish otherwise.

Maybe she mentally flashed back to Confaegion and remembered seeing how totally into kissing Tamsin teen Bo was but regardless, she didn't even bother fighting for Bo and their relationship.

At first that really bothered me.  And I still don't like that she never gave Bo any time to adjust to that reality or clued her in there were real problems for them.  But now I think that Lauren, who will always love Bo, realized the total futility in fighting for something that is impossible and that can never be changed no matter how much you want it not to be true.

"And I wonder...can you really know yourself without memory? I mean, can you really know what you want?" - Bo Dennis, "Of All the Gin Joints"

Eternal-DustDate: Friday, 25 Oct 13, 4:37 PM | Message # 26
Food > You
I don't think Lauren can handle this.

But it does get me to thinking how out of this world Valkubus sex can be if Tamsin's chi is like crack to Bo. 

UberFaenaticDate: Friday, 25 Oct 13, 5:03 PM | Message # 27
Rakshasa
Yes.  Regardless of how much sex they were having, my guess is that by Bo's standards it was extremely gentle and very vanilla because she's got 10 years of human corpses that weigh on her soul.  There's no chance she'd risk letting go or doing anything daring with Lauren because she'd be too scared to go too far.

And that scene there... remember when Lauren came in and she was like..."And oh my God, there's choking"?  Now I think that was of course to emphasize Bo's hands on the woman's throat and her later choking but it also focused my attention on the fact that there's no way we'd see Bo consider doing that with any human, but especially one she loves.

Added (25 Oct 13, 5:03 PM)
---------------------------------------------
My point is that I started to worry they'd retcon Season 3 to allow for the possibility of a doccubus endgame...but it seems clear from seeing this relationship actually play out, especially during this rewatch, that the show was so explicit in detailing the physical relationship and the consequences of a human with a succubus...that the point they were trying to make was that it was entirely impossible.

"And I wonder...can you really know yourself without memory? I mean, can you really know what you want?" - Bo Dennis, "Of All the Gin Joints"

Eternal-DustDate: Friday, 25 Oct 13, 5:25 PM | Message # 28
Food > You
Can you think of any major retcons they've done in the past? Going by what you've pointed out, Bo will eventually move past Lauren. That is, of course, if Lauren is still human... :/

UberFaenaticDate: Friday, 25 Oct 13, 6:10 PM | Message # 29
Rakshasa
I can't think of any personally but I'd love other people's input here as well. 

The reality is that they cannot have a monogamous relationship unless Bo becomes human or Lauren becomes fae...in other words, they have to radically alter who these people are in order to make a square peg fit in a round hole.  And even then...Bo is always running off to take care of others.  That's central to her being, and I suspect even if Lauren were fae that she'd still not have the kind of time for her Lauren would need in a partner.  Even if they "fixed" the physical incompatibility, emotionally they were just as incompatible.  They had cute moments peppered throughout but their core needs were met through things that took them away from the other...especially on Bo's part.  And if she felt she had to give that up for Lauren, she'd end up resenting her in the end.

I think that Bo will always love her though and from that standpoint, that end of the triangle will continue on.  But I don't see them ever trying a relationship again.  I do anticipate sexy moments, kisses etc. because of the feelings that I think will always exist.

Eternal-DustDate: Friday, 25 Oct 13, 7:29 PM | Message # 30
Food > You
That gives me some hope.

I'll probably rewatch S3 again just to spot some things I might have missed before. *braces feels for the bathtub scene*

Forum » Lost Girl » Lost Girl General Discussion » Dybo vs Doccubus vs Valkubus - Exploring Bo's Relationships
Search: