Friday, 19 Apr 24, 6:35 AM
Welcome, Guest | RSS
[ New posts · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Valkyrior, Lanie  
Forum » Lost Girl » Lost Girl General Discussion » Dybo vs Doccubus vs Valkubus - Exploring Bo's Relationships
Dybo vs Doccubus vs Valkubus - Exploring Bo's Relationships
UberFaenaticDate: Saturday, 26 Oct 13, 4:31 PM | Message # 31
Rakshasa
Group: Users
Awards: 6
I just finished re-watching Delinquents.  There is just so much going on with Tamsin in this episode.  She might have been playing a B arc in this story, but she plays the crap out of it.

It occurred to me that she didn't need to see either Lauren or Bo.  She could have snuck in while either were out of the house like she did with Dyson.

But she seemed to want both moments.  She wanted to rile Lauren up and get under her skin.  She is unnecessarily antagonistic and deliciously snarky from the moment she walks in to the finger wiggle wave and slow meander out of there.

And with Bo... she hugs her to get the hair...but she could have gone about that differently if she wanted.  I think she was apologizing for betraying her.  The "I'm sorry" was heartfelt.

And as for the breakup, Lauren is clear here.  I feel like I will always be asking for more than you can give me.  When she started the talk, it felt like she was easing her way into it.  I'm not happy, but you are.  She's gently trying to tell Bo that they need different things in life to complete them and that Bo's needs are incompatible with her needs.

When Bo tells her she's willing to do whatever Lauren needs, rather than asking for time together or working it out, she cuts her off at the knees and ends them.  Isn't it interesting though that she didn't confront her about Tamsin?  That was the straw that broke the camel's back for her it looked.  So why not ask her about it, unless she didn't think she wanted to know the answer...or that it was part of the greater problem.  At the end of Ceremony, the look on Lauren's face when she looks back and forth between Dyson and Bo is telling.

"And I wonder...can you really know yourself without memory? I mean, can you really know what you want?" - Bo Dennis, "Of All the Gin Joints"

Eternal-DustDate: Saturday, 26 Oct 13, 6:26 PM | Message # 32
Food > You
Group: Administrators
Awards: 11
I still maintain that Tamsin messed with the rune bottle on purpose and she started off doing so with Lauren. 

It is also telling how much Lauren distrusts Bo when she takes Tamsin's word for the kiss. She never even confronted Bo about it.

Bo: "I'm alright, but I'm not perfect."
Tamsin: "Yes, you are. To me, you are."

UberFaenaticDate: Sunday, 27 Oct 13, 0:26 AM | Message # 33
Rakshasa
Oh I don't know.  I think Tamsin played it clean with the rune bottle, which is why she completely fell apart.  She hated betraying Bo and hated herself for doing it but felt there was no other way.

I think the bottle failed because Bo was starting to question her own feelings and commitment.  She didn't have even a tenth of the bad reaction she did when she broke up with Dyson.  Add to that, she knew that she put others ahead of Lauren and the relationship she'd state emphatically was so important to her.  BTW that's the same tone she used at the beginning of Fae-de to Black when insisting with Dyson that her sex life with Lauren was going fantastic.  It was awesome..."maybe too awesome" she enthuses.  While she sits there starving, looking at every hottie who came into the Dal like they were a hot fudge sundae. lol

Then there's the kiss with Tamsin.  She said she had to think about things and I think a part of her wonders why she reciprocated Tamsin's kiss.  We know she didn't tell Lauren, which is odd, because she told Lauren about banging Dyson to heal.  So why not a kiss.  And so Tamsin who seemed genuinely surprised when the potion didn't work snarks that maybe Bo doesn't love or trust like she claims.

I think there's some truth to that, only insofar as perhaps Bo's love for Lauren is based more on her being a fantasy come true, a possibility for a normal, white picket fence human relationship and not really all that healthy otherwise.

"And I wonder...can you really know yourself without memory? I mean, can you really know what you want?" - Bo Dennis, "Of All the Gin Joints"

ZoriahDate: Wednesday, 30 Oct 13, 2:16 AM | Message # 34
Kitsune
Awards: 7
Hi, I am new here, and while I still have a huge soft spot for Dybo, I am very quickly becoming enamored of Valkubus. I love all the analysis here and agree with most of it. I think Tamsin is an amazing addition to the cast of Lost Girl. The more I rewatch, the more I love what she brings to the mix. In some ways I can't imagine her not being on the show, so that's a testament to how much her character grew on me. There's a tortured complex soul in that woman who deserves some happiness and returned affection. I'm hoping that we'll see her relationship with Bo further explored in S4.

I totally agree that Bo needs a Fae lover to keep up with her. I love how much Tamsin has both challenged her and had her own preconceptions challenged. The bathtub scene remains a highlight for me for the entire season. Such raw honesty. Tamsin was so conflicted about what she was doing or had to do. I admit I'm a sucker for 'adversary turned romantic ally' stories, so this is right up my ally. wink

UberFaenaticDate: Wednesday, 30 Oct 13, 2:41 AM | Message # 35
Rakshasa
Quote Zoriah ()
I totally agree that Bo needs a Fae lover to keep up with her. I love how much Tamsin has both challenged her and had her own preconceptions challenged. The bathtub scene remains a highlight for me for the entire season. Such raw honesty. Tamsin was so conflicted about what she was doing or had to do. I admit I'm a sucker for 'adversary turned romantic ally' stories, so this is right up my ally. wink
Hi there, Baby fae!  Welcome. smile

I have had some Doccubi point out to me that even Dyson couldn't keep up with her and so she can never have any monogamous relationship, even with a fae...but they're missing a few important things.  First, Dyson was hurting and exhausted, but he was okay with that and he was willing to find ways to cope because Bo meant so much to him.  Second, Bo still had her training wheels on.  She still was on injections to curb her appetite and she didn't know how to regulate her feeding. 

But by Vexed, she was comfortable to not only kiss a human but sleep with one so she had advanced to the point that she was better at feeding.  And of course by the first episode of Season 2, we saw that even injured, she was able to regulate feeding off a human so that she got enough not to be critical but was in control and didn't harm him.  In other words, Season 1 Bo had no off switch. lol

I may be in the minority around here but I actually don't mind seeing Dyson and Bo have more sexy times because they still aren't fully resolved.  But I just feel that Bo and her story arc have moved past it...I guess is the way to put it.  She'll always love him but it's like you'll always love your first love.

As for Tamsin and Bo...the idea of a redemption story makes me weak in the knees...especially since it means that Bo would really have to fight for this one, as opposed to Dyson and Lauren, who almost literally fell in her lap like most of her relationships.  Tamsin fears love...fears weakness, so she'd instinctively run from that kind of emotional depth.  So potentially, the writers could really make a really neat multi season arc here where we get subtext and movement without pushing them to a front line story.  Which would be fine by me because I want more than just Bo's relationships when I watch the show. smile

ZoriahDate: Wednesday, 30 Oct 13, 2:53 AM | Message # 36
Kitsune
Quote UberFaenatic ()
As for Tamsin and Bo...the idea of a redemption story makes me weak in the knees...especially since it means that Bo would really have to fight for this one, as opposed to Dyson and Lauren, who almost literally fell in her lap like most of her relationships. Tamsin fears love...fears weakness, so she'd instinctively run from that kind of emotional depth.

I think this is what as drawn me so strongly to them as well. I love the idea of someone who fears love, is afraid of allowing herself to open up emotionally because she's experienced loss or disappointment before. From what I can tell, Tamsin thinks she's toxic and perhaps not worthy of love, which is very reminiscent of what Bo thought of herself in the very beginning. I love that parallel.

UberFaenaticDate: Wednesday, 30 Oct 13, 3:20 AM | Message # 37
Rakshasa
Each season there has been a lost character.  Bo is obviously the prime Lost Girl, and she took that central role in season 1.

For season 2, the central lost character for me was Dyson, having lost what made him so valuable a team member and friend to the Norn for Bo.

And then season 3, the lost character was Tamsin...having been thrown into the deep end by the Morrigan to take down Bo, only to find herself drawn to her whether she wanted to be or not.  And then to learn this was her mark...that left her reeling so by Adventures in Fae-bysitting, she was a total wreck, and completely undone, which set up the bathtub scene and what came as close to a confession of love as we'd get from her as she's self destructing and damning herself.

SHCDate: Wednesday, 30 Oct 13, 4:45 PM | Message # 38
Bounty Hunter
Awards: 10
Quote Zoriah ()
Hi, I am new here, and while I still have a huge soft spot for Dybo, I am very quickly becoming enamored of Valkubus.

Welcome to Brazenwood Zoriah!

Glad to have you here with us feel free to post around! Always glad to get a new member.  woowoo

Quote UberFaenatic ()
I may be in the minority around here but I actually don't mind seeing Dyson and Bo have more sexy times because they still aren't fully resolved.

I don't think you are in such a huge minority... I think they will  need to touch back on that as well. Not looking forward to sexy times though lol, totally missed that part of that sentence first time around.

ValkyrieLiquorCabinetDate: Wednesday, 30 Oct 13, 5:26 PM | Message # 39
Kitsune
Awards: 5
Sorry but Dyson became pretty annoying character, i like him more like a bro to everyone.

DakaraJayneDate: Wednesday, 30 Oct 13, 5:50 PM | Message # 40
Spriggan
Awards: 3
Hi Zoriah and welcome smile

I have to agree, I also like Dybo. He would do anything for Bo, he truly loves her and I think it should be acknowledged in the show...however...I believe Valkubus shows more promise and intrigue. As UberFaenatic mentioned, Tamsin is something new and exciting for Bo - She is unpredictable. Tamsin 'wasn't supposed to like' Bo but against all odds she 'fell for her in a lot of ways' and you can see her inner battle with this unfold. It would be interesting to see how Tamsin got to this stage and hopefully Bo will be the person that helps her to come to terms with her past and make our lil Valkyrie happy

Added (30 Oct 13, 5:50 PM)
---------------------------------------------
It's a shame Dyson is always so serious - I loved 3x3 when he became infected > sooo much more entertaining. KHR plays those roles so well too!!!

Bo: Nada
Tamsin: Speak for yourself
Me: *Dies*

ZoriahDate: Wednesday, 30 Oct 13, 6:24 PM | Message # 41
Kitsune
I also love the fact that Tamsin is world weary, and at the end of her life cycle - but there's mystery as to what that actually means. Is she reluctant to allow herself to love Bo because she's dying and will have to go soon? What if when she dies and renews herself she loses all memories of her past or something like that. I can see potential for a lot of emotional depth in terms of having feelings for someone when one of you doesn't have much time left. Do you reveal how you feel, knowing it might be more painful when the loss happens? Or do you try to avoid opening your heart to protect yourself from more grief.

UberFaenaticDate: Wednesday, 30 Oct 13, 6:56 PM | Message # 42
Rakshasa
Well Tamsin remembers enough to be able to say to Bo that she's like no one she's ever met in any of her many lifetimes.  And if we take her references to certain battles as reference points in her life specifically, such as the Trojan War, that makes the statement all the more significant.

ZoriahDate: Wednesday, 30 Oct 13, 7:10 PM | Message # 43
Kitsune
That's actually a relief because, yes, it does make it more significant if she does retain memories from other lifetimes. Thanks for the clarification. Wasn't sure what her typical lifespan was considering Dyson's 1500 and hardly what one would think of as middle-aged. Which also begs the question: just how old is Trick in comparison to Tamsin?

SlightlyTwistedDate: Wednesday, 30 Oct 13, 7:23 PM | Message # 44
Rakshasa
Awards: 5
Trick can even be younger than Tamsin. Different fae age differently, and have different age spans. 
Remember that fae in that one episode where a guy was wailed for, and when he and Kenzi talked he pointed to a 900 year old fae, that was very old?

I wonder why though, that Tamsin is so reluctant to enter a new life cycle if she has most, if not all her memories from previous life cycles anyway. What changes with a new cycle? I'm hoping we get to find out.

Eternal-DustDate: Wednesday, 30 Oct 13, 10:05 PM | Message # 45
Food > You
Awards: 11
Quote Zoriah ()
Hi, I am new here, and while I still have a huge soft spot for Dybo, I am very quickly becoming enamored of Valkubus.

WELCOME!   

I hope you enjoy our little haven here. smile

Quote SlightlyTwisted ()
I wonder why though, that Tamsin is so reluctant to enter a new life cycle if she has most, if not all her memories from previous life cycles anyway. What changes with a new cycle? I'm hoping we get to find out.

Falala and I were speculating that it might have something to do with it being her last life cycle. Maybe she made some sort of deal with the Wanderer and he's holding that over her head to bring Bo in.

Bo: "I'm alright, but I'm not perfect."
Tamsin: "Yes, you are. To me, you are."

Forum » Lost Girl » Lost Girl General Discussion » Dybo vs Doccubus vs Valkubus - Exploring Bo's Relationships
Search: